and not float around this earth like a ghost

"How would you ask someone how his journey was?"

Hi. It's been a long time since we've last talked. A lot of things have happened since then - The Grand Budapest Hotel came out, and Lauren Beukes published a new book, and Beyoncé made everyone freak out that one time. [I say that with the nonchalance of someone who most definitely did freak out.]

I'm someone who will commit to a diary every new year, and abandon it by January 2nd, only to make periodical returns when something is happening in my life that is so overwhelming that I find no other way to deal with it than by writing about it. Thinking it out with words that I can't say aloud. (A lot like Sumire, from Murakami's Sputnik Sweetheart. Did I mention that I finally started reading Murakami?)

I think Blogger is a lot like a diary. One shouldn't stick to posting rituals, or entry rituals, because then you're serving it, not yourself. You should be able to return to both, guilt free, when you need to most. And that's what I'm doing.

I re-watched Richard Ayoade's The Double today and it was as perfect as it was the first time. Based upon Dostoevsky's short story of the same name, it is another cinematic masterpiece from Ayoade - featuring this glorious cobalt blue/burnt sienna palette and fantastic performances from Jesse Eisenberg and Mia Wasikowska.



As with Submarine, it's the deliberate little details of The Double that make you fall in love with it; the minuscule movements that make the characters comfortingly real - from Simon's tell-tale Adam's apple showing him swallowing his words, to Hannah's tucking of her hair behind her ear, to the above screenshot.



Go watch it if you haven't.

Love always,
Zahra

0 comments:

Post a Comment